Tuesday 5 October 2010

Same Old, Same Old

Well, that's me back to the grind, back on the treadmill - whatever you want to call it, I'm back to work.

My computer wouldn't connect to the network for the first hour, no-one really wanted to help, the IT department didn't bother to phone me back...blah, blah, blah...

A strange day.

Its interesting what people say to you when you've been off for a while. Some have kept in touch, some haven't.

People asked, 'What was the chemo like?' 
I showed them the ugly track marks up my arm where the chemo has completely nacked a vein.
They 'ooh-ed.' . If I'd told them what the chemo was like, they'd have switched off after a couple of minutes. A bit like when you're asked, 'how was your holiday?'

They've commented - 'You look great.'
I thanked them. None of them have ever said that to me in 15 years. I dread to think how they must have expected me to look, or maybe I just looked bloody awful before!

They shared their thoughts - 'I bet it's made you take stock of things.'
I smiled. This is one of the things that people say a lot. It irritates me slightly. I was actually very happy with my stock before, and it implies that I used to be an ungrateful, grumpy old sod. I know they don't mean it to sound like that. I opened my mouth to give them my answer, then stopped myself and just said, 'yeh.'
This seemed to keep them happy.

I think I just wanted people to say, 'Fancy a cup of tea?' or 'Can we talk about how to improve the website?' or 'Can you come up with a new marketing plan for next year please?' or even, 'do you need a hand to get your computer sorted?'


But then, if they hadn't asked me those questions and said the things that they said today, I would probably have accused them of being heartless and insensitive. They can't win.


So lets just get back to the grind...

2 comments:

  1. I think this all makes us realise how we should think before we speak,but I bet we will say those same things ourselves.As you say if people say nothing they are uncaring if they say something they are reminding us that we are "different".No winners there !!
    Off to Stratford On Avon for a couple of days care of Tesco vouchers.
    Stay strong
    Love Rose xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear Rose - you are so right - which is why we mustn't get ourselves too wound up with what people do or don't say.
    Today, one of my dear colleagues made me a cake with 'welcome back' written on it and my name in chocolate jazzie button things. That gesture said SO MUCH MORE than the clever old 'taking stock of your life' comments. I don't think we can expect people to truly understand, but she definitely got it right for me, and I was so grateful.
    Enjoy Stratford! Are you visiting family/friends or just taking in a bit of culture and retail?
    Shents xxx
    PS Update your blog when you get back and tell us all about it!!!

    ReplyDelete