Friday 22 October 2010

Goan on Holiday

Hubby and I have spent some wonderful times in India.

We travelled around Rajasthan for a few weeks marvelling at EVERYthing, and we bought my beautiful, simple engagement ring from a little shop in Delhi. We honeymooned in Tamil Nadu in Southern India for about 40 pence...and basically fell in love with the place. But we haven't been to India for quite some time - since the honeymoon, in fact.

 Above - a shabby, scabby room...with an unbelievable view - yes - that's the Taj Mahal in the distance!

 Above - Everywhere we went, we could join in a cricket match. This one took place on the roof-top of a sacred temple in Amber. The lad in the checky shirt was called Govind and we wrote to him for quite a while before finally losing touch. I wonder where he is and what he's doing now.

So anyway, when I was lying on the settee after my operation back in January - 8 foot of snow piled up outside, and 15 years after these photos were taken, one of the things that kept me going was the idea that 'when it was all over' I would return to India - hubby and me....but this time, we would take our 2 kids, and give them a sample of the tastes, the smells, the colours of this wonderful country.

And so today, with a few clicks of the mouse it was done. The 4 of us are off to India, the week before Christmas - we're playing it safe by going to Goa, but its India, and I know we'll all love it.

All I have to do now, is write the begging letters to the schools to get permission to take the kids out, renew 2 of our passports, organise visas, get our jabs, and be super-ultra organised for Christmas which will be happening just 2 days after we get back!

Better get on with it then!...

8 comments:

  1. Hope you all have an amazing time Shents - am SURE it'll be good for you :-)

    As for the school/permission...do your kids school/s give permission?
    Neither the primary where Dj was or the Secondary where he is now, do.
    Strictly emergencies only - therefore everyone's Granny dies (over and over again,annually) when holidays are booked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote a cracking begging letter explaining about our situation last Christmas, and the school phoned that afternoon to say 'go!'
    It is a bit crazy that kids can't have at least a week out of school every year. Holidays are ridiculously expensive in proper hol periods...and it would save the lives of so many grannies!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Girl!!!What a lovely boost for you.!!and then back for a lovely Christmas,sounds great you mad person.The children dont do very much at the end of term anyway so they wont miss anything important.time to do your shopping i think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rose
    Yes! I'm going to have to be VERY organised this year - which is very unlike me! I'm tempted to leave the present shopping till we get haggling around Goa, but no - too much of a risk!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shents, we went to Goa about 5 years ago and I know we will be going back...I sat in a bar not far from Baga beach and Calangute drinking the biggest bottle of Kingfisher looking over the salt flats and palm trees...amazing!

    Also when we got into a routine (you know it always take 3-4 days to get to feel settled) it was up for breakfast and down to the beach for about 9am, sunbathing, swimming in the biggest waves and running out of the way of fighting cows was fun. Then when it got too hot at about 11.30 we would retreat up the beach to the little beach restaurents for a curry and a beer (it was too good a chance to miss a fresh Goan Fish curry with rice and a couple of large bottles of kingfisher)...then back to the hotel for a quick swim and siesta before out to the pool for late afternoon...

    I am so jealous!

    Much Love

    T x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhh! Kingfisher! Delicious! It never tastes as good in this country - simply HAS to be drunk in the country of its birth!
    Cows on the beach - the kids don't believe me - I can't wait to get them out there and show them all the fab places, sights, smells etc! I really want to whet their appetite for seeing the big wide world.
    When I'm there I will raise a bottle or 2 of the old Kingfisher - just for you - to wish you a hasty return.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. email me at tonysong@hotmail.co.uk and I will see if I can find a couple of snaps of the fighting :-) T xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think someone somewhere is trying to leave a comment but it doesn't seem to be working. Please try again!

    ReplyDelete