Wednesday 15 September 2010

I Do Believe in Fairies, I Do, I Do

Last time the 6 year old lost a tooth, the tooth fairy dropped it on the tooth-coloured carpet whilst she was exchanging it for a pound coin. She had to hunt for it on her hands and knees for an hour before finding it under the chest of drawers.

This time, the fairy wasn't so careless, and even wrapped the coin in silver paper, with the tooth, because she knew that the 6 year old wanted to keep her little pearl to show everyone at school.

'But how will she know?' asked the 6 year old.

'She just will,' I explained., 'The tooth fairy is extremely clever.'

And so, this morning, a delighted little face appeared at my bedside with the pound, the silver paper and the tooth.

'I love the tooth fairy,' she grinned, the new gap making her talk shlightly shtrangely.

'I love you too,' I smiled.

She looked at me suspiciously.

'And as for the tooth fairy...well, she must love you too because she left you your tooth to take to school.'

She smiled. Reassured. A big gappy grin.

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic....I just love the total innocence, the complete unwavering belief that a fairy would come into the room, leave the cash AND the tooth because that's what she wanted to happen...

    If only we could all hold onto that innocence (and complete belief in the impossible) for longer in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When she was about 3, she stole her brother's tooth from under his pillow so that the fairy would come and visit her. Fortunately, the fairy worked out what had happened, and put things right. I could tell she was amazed at how the fairy knew, but didn't want to say anything to me in case she got told off for stealing his tooth! Ever since then, she has definitely believed! Since then, I don't know how many times her brother has hinted to her that the fairy doesn't exist - but you're right - the unwavering belief is so powerful that she's even making him wonder again...I might even put her tooth under my pillow tonight - see if the fairy leaves me a big fat cheque...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to say Happy Birthday Shents and also share a piece of useless info with you....
    Today is also Mr Bean's birthday - 20 years today :-)

    Hope you had a brilliant day xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Carole
    I LOVE Mr Bean. The high diving board at the swimming pool is my fave.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Mr Bean too....One of my fav's is the cinema scene when he takes his girlfriend and decides to scare her during the horror film.

    I'm laughing now just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Shents, did she put it back under her pillow then to get some more money!

    T xx

    ReplyDelete