Thursday 14 April 2011

When the Saints Go Marchin In

Its been a sad week.

Uncle Billy

My Uncle Billy - one of dad's older brothers died on Sunday. He was in his 80's, and had been married to Auntie Millie for over 60 years. I used to love saying 'Millie 'n' Billy' or 'Billy 'n' Millie,' when I was a kid.

Uncle Billy was the double of my dad. I saw him in Corbridge one day, and shouted over - 'Dad! Dad!' I was so embarrassed when I realised it wasn't him. Fancy not recognising your own dad!

Uncle Billy was an amazing musician. He played the clarinet and the saxophone, and couldn't read one note of music. Please have a listen to a couple of the youtube clips here. The first one is taken from our annual 'jazz picnic' at the village hall. He's well into his 80's and still manages to play a guest slot with the Victory V Jazzmen. Oh - and that's my dad singing, and uncle Billy's son, Peter on the bass!



This 2nd clip was filmed at my 'piano christening' do. 3 generations of musical Shentons - Uncle Billy, his son (Peter) and and his grandson (Mark)....and then it all goes dark because for some reason I turn the lights down! Sorry!



They're giving him a fabulous send off on Monday - a proper New Orleans funeral....in Carlisle. I've no doubt he'll be playing his clarinet or sax from above as he watches everyone take part in a musical celebration of his life.
My cousin Peter and his dad Uncle Billy

4 Shentons in the band at my dad's birthday - Uncle Joe (washboard) Peter (Bass) Uncle Billy (Sax) and Mark (Keyboards)

Uncle Joe - still taps away beautifully on the old River City Jazzmen washboard

2 peas in a pod - Bill Shenton and Ray Shenton. (Dad's usually on the piano, but occasionally gets up for a sing)

David

Its also been a sad week because we lost one of our friends from the Cancer Chat forum and one of the 'Blogger 5.' My dear friend David, who I never met, died this week after a brave fight against cancer. He was a lovely, witty man who I shall never forget. He wrote beautifully about walks in the woods with his dog, gathering wild mushrooms, wining, dining, lunching and entertaining - I really wish I could have met him for a beer and some lunch - I think we would have had a good old laugh together.

My thoughts and prayers are with his lovely family at this time.

This is how I'd like to remember my lovely pen friend (below) Relaxed, in the sunshine with a glass of vino in his hand. David - Thank you for being such a great friend in the short time I knew you.



When the Saints Go Marchin In

Traditionally, this gospel hymn is used at a 'jazz funeral' in New Orleans. On the way to the cemetery, the tune would be played as a 'dirge,' and on the way back from the internment it would switch to the more familiar upbeat Dixieland style. I suppose this represents the sadness we feel at losing people that are special to us...but then celebrates the part they played in our lives...this is for you Uncle Billy and David...

6 comments:

  1. Sitting here with tears in my eyes and yet I have a smile on my face....

    Loved the Youtube vid's and really love the idea of a New Orlean's send off - via Carlisle. Brilliant :-)

    Very uplifting post Shents

    Sleep tight Uncle Billy and David xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sad time for you but what fabulous memories.They really dont make characters like that any more.What a send off that will be judging by the U.tube clips.
    Peace to all the families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls.
    Sadly I can't go to the funeral as I'd booked a couple of nights away with Lizzie. (Tom's on a residential cricket course and Eddie at work)
    We're having a girlie break to...Blackpool! Lizzie will love all the tat etc so we should have a bit of fun.
    No doubt my dad will tell me all about it. Uncle Billy has requested that everyone wears bright clothes - so it should actually be a very upbeat occasion. Sad to miss it.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I reckon Uncle Billy would have said 'Go to Blackpool and have fun' :-)

    You have such lovely memories of him and that is what counts.

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear that, Lisa. I hadn't realised just how strongly alike they were! Thinking about you. Katy and Jon were just here, so maybe your ears were burning? Lots of love, Jill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure about my ears - but my nose and chest have been burning like hell after a walk in the blazing spring sunshine!
    Hope you had a good time with K and J.
    Good to hear from you - hope all is well with you.
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete