Friday 24 September 2010

Please Come and Waste My Time

I heard some really crap news about a friend today. Another case of breast cancer. She's only 32. So I thought I'd have a rant.

I wasn't clever enough to be a doctor.

I wasn't bad at physics, but my chemistry and biology results were bloody awful, so I decided to become an arty, farty, sporty person instead.

But, you know, I have a theory. Sometimes you don't have to be clever to save lives.

The surgeon who carried out my operations last year was an extremely clever doctor. He knew what he was doing. I had enormous confidence in him. I'm extremely grateful to him. He was my lifesaver - literally.

At every appointment with this consultant, I had a Macmillan nurse sitting in. She also has a list of qualifications the length of her arm, but her most important qualification in my eyes was as 'interpreter,' and 'communicator.'

They were a fantastic double act, the pair of them. The consultant delivered his 'this is what you've got' announcement, followed by his 'and this is what we're going to do about it' speech. He would then leave the room, and allow me and my husband to have time with the nurse who put everything into 'Shents-speak.'

With her in the team, the consultant was allowed to be as clever as he liked. He didn't have to bother much about how I felt about things - my fabulous nurse took care of that. I was in safe hands. I felt cared for, confident, safe, listened to, understood....

To get to this stage, I had to pass an audition with the GP.  They are like medical sieves. They have to be clever enough to recognise the patients who are genuinely ill, and smile politely to the people who aren't. All in 10 minutes. Fortunately, this time, I didn't get washed down the plughole and I successfully sailed through to the next round...

To get to my audition at the GP surgery, though, I had to pick up the phone and make an appointment.

Some of us are reluctant to do this. Last time you visited the GP, you may have left the surgery feeling slightly silly. Slightly embarrassed. Slightly...like you'd wasted their time. You didn't mean to do it..you're really sorry...you won't do it again...

...so when we reach for the phone, we're not necessarily reluctant to see our doctor because we're afraid of the diagnosis. Perhaps we are more frightened of being labelled a 'time waster.'

We are constantly reminded that we should see a pharmacist, take a paracetamol, catch it, bin it, kill it...anything but see a GP.
 

Is this the right message to be sending out? Posters, leaflets, campaigns - and even our own GP's - giving us that 'look' - the one that says 'you've wasted my time.'
To some - maybe - yes. But not to all.

GP's. You are clever people. Very clever people, and we respect and value what you do. But did you know that you can also save lives without being that clever?
I think it used to be called 'bedside manner...'

The following is taken from an article by 'PalMD'  - entitled 'Why are you Wasting My Time?' (click link for full article) 


It is important for all of us who are physicians to remember that there is no such thing as a stupid appointment.  If nothing else, the time can be spent getting to know someone new----misanthropy is not a good trait for a clinician.  And building that rapport can lead to more gravid revelations in the future.  Once you get a complete stranger to trust you, you start to experience "door-knobbing", where a patient, holding the doorknob on the way out says, "By the way doc...". That "by the way" is often the most significant part of the visit.  The cold they came in for becomes the mole on their leg that is getting bigger, or the heart burn that only bugs them when they climb the stairs.  
Once you have decided that a visit is a waste of time, the patient will share that conclusion, and will have no reason to tell you anything of consequence.  And that's not good medicine.

I wonder how many lives could be saved if not some (and I know there are fantastic GP's out there!), but every GP adopted this approach.

9 comments:

  1. I hope your friend has been diagnosed early and that treatment will be sucessful.Thank goodness she has you to hold her hand and guide her.
    Rose xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rose
    I think she would have gone to the doc earlier if she'd felt more confident that she wasn't going to waste his time. Hence the rant.
    I truly hope that I'll be able to help her in some way.
    xxx
    PS - I know you're a busy lady - but why aren't you updating your lovely blog - just some pics will do! How's your new bundle of joy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate completely to your message here Shents....

    In March the first 3 visits to my GP resulted in me being told 'You are not ill, you are depressed'...Each time I insisted I was ILL and didn't actually have anything to be depressed about and each time I was told 'Depression causes lots of physical symptoms'

    Eventually the Locum listened to me - after saying 'I think you are maybe suffering from depression'...Arrrggghhhhh!

    Fantastic post Shents - all good wishes to your friend, keep us posted on her progress
    C xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every now and then, something leads me to having a damned good rant. There really are some great docs out there, and I know they only have 10 minutes for a consultation, but I think my friend is not alone in being made to feel worried about picking up the phone to book an appointment for fear of 'bothering them,' and I'm not sure that medics are aware of this.
    xxx
    PS Why are there no pics on your blog of Sunderland equalising against the Gunners in the dying seconds of the game last week?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sunderland? Sunderland who? ......LOL

    My blog is a biased blog, I cannot deny this. When we lose or draw there will be NO postings about the game whatsoever.
    It's called unbalanced reporting :-)

    Your friend is not alone about being worried to go to the GP and 'waste their time'. It's taken me years to get Rab to go back after they told him he was as strong as a horse and they didn't know why he was back there again :-(

    My friends husband was told he was depressed for 4 months when he actually needed heart surgery!..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's difficult for the GP to get it right in 10 mins, but if they could just leave us with the confidence that we can make an appointment when we're worried, then I think it would make all the difference to some people.
    I have established an excellent relationship with one GP in the last few months, but he retires next year.
    And you're right - it should be 'Sunderland who?' for me as a Newcastle supporter, but I do like all our local teams. Don't tell any one up here though, as I'll get into bother!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shents,
    Been chatting to another blogger and I recalled you telling Tony some time back that you had details for turning a blog into a book?

    She is quite interested in doing this so any chance you've still got the details?
    Thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! www.blurb.co.uk
    Its fantastic. All you do is download the 'booksmart' software on this site for free, upload all the blog, then faff about til your heart's content with pictures/photos etc, then once youre happy with it, you submit it, and order as many copies as you like which arrive at your door in a couple of weeks! Magic.
    If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll do a post about it and put a few pics on.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, that'll be great because then I'll send her the link to your blog and she can organise it from there.

    Excellent, thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete