Sunday 19 September 2010

A GREAT North Day

It was my birthday on Wednesday, and so to make up for completely forgetting about it, my hubby organised crowds of people, celebrities, TV cameras, an interview with the Newcastle Journal and even a fly past by the Red Arrows!
The Red Arrows - just for me!

Well ok, it wasn't really for my birthday. It was actually all for the Junior and the Mini Great North Run.
But I was interviewed by the Journal, I did get on the telly, and I did see some great athletes in the 'sideshow' City Games.

The 6 year old and the 9 year old were competing for the first time. The little one's race was a mile long, and the biggun had to run about 2.5 miles. Everything took place down on the quayside in Newcastle and Gateshead on the most beautiful Autumn day.

The BIG Great North Run is today of course. It was first started in 1981, and I have run it 5 times. I even raised money for breast cancer one year when I was about 15. Little did I know!
Its a wonderful day, and so too was the Junior GNR yesterday. Seeing all those little faces taking part, raising money for various causes was truly inspiring. The biggest cheer of the day came for a young lad with cerebral palsy who was bringing up the rear in the 9 year olds race. His smile was infectious and he really worked the crowd - whipping them up into a frenzy of cheers.

'A wonderful family day, showing the north-east off in all its glory...' my quote for the Journal!....

2 little runners
Andy from Blue Peter in his pole vault challenge!
The 6 year old at the start...
...and at the finish
The 9 year old at the start (white shorts, gold trainers)
and at the finish (he came 12th out of 340 in his section!)
I took the last photo during the City Games bit of the day. I was standing right beside the mat on the pole vault and got this shot which I'm really pleased with! You can click on it to make it bigger.

2 comments:

  1. Well done all of you!!!Please pass on my thanks to your gorgeous children and give them a big hug from me.Are you feeling back to your old self yet?You look wonderful.Lovely pics !!!
    Rose xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the latest blog entry says it all. I really do feel great now - starting work again in a couple of weeks...
    Gave the kids a big hug from you, they say thanks!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete