Thursday 27 January 2011

Hourra pour les Gymnastes Français

Our two lovely guests
Nos deux invités belle
Our French teacher was at least 850 years old. She was thin, bony, and slightly hunched with a mouth that puckered in disgust each time I destroyed the beautiful French language. I was terrified of her.

In one lesson, she gave us all a story written in French. It was set in Tahiti, and each person in our class took it in turns to translate a couple of sentences out loud to the rest of the class. As my turn loomed I got terrible butterfly pains in my stomach and a sense of impending doom. When she nodded at me, I could hear an intake of breath from the rest of the class. They knew I got nervous, they knew I wasn't great at French, and they didn't want me to be shouted at and made to cry. They were all rooting for me.

I cleared my throat and thought, 'come on, Lisa - everything will be fine...'

I began fairly confidently. The Tahitian tribe were having a meal. I knew all the fruits, and translated them expertly into English. Woohoo! I was doing well. Last on the list of 'le repas traditionnel des tribus', however, was 'Gateau aux noix.' 

I hesitated for a moment. I knew that gateau was cake. But was the hell were noix's?


My teacher stayed very still and quiet. Like a snake. One wrong move, and I knew she'd attack. Fangs, poison, no mercy.


It was then that I had a eureka moment. Noix.... Hmm..... Well, Noir is black. So maybe Noix is the plural of noir. Black cake....Black Gateau......Got it!......Black Forest Gateau!!!!


I blurted it out in relief, waiting for my teacher to say - 'well done, Lisa, marvelous translation...'

But she didn't.

'Black Forest Gateau in TAHITI?' she screeched. 'Black Forest Gateau in TAHITI!' she repeated - just in case someone hadn't heard the first time. Each time she said it, her spit sprayed across the classroom. I could see my classmates visibly shrinking in terror as she delivered me a tirade of abuse and a bucketful of humiliation.

Tears blooped down onto the words of the book - 'gateau noix' laughing up at me.

'It's nut cake,' I heard one of the class swots say....

I'll never forget it. We laugh about it now, my friends and I. 'The Black Forest Gateau in Tahiti incident,' but it definitely made me HATE learning French and hate trying to speak French....despite loving everything about France......

So it was with great trepidation that I accepted the role of 'host' to a couple of French guests within a group of young gymnasts from Paris.

I needn't have worried. We have just spent a wonderful weekend with our guests - a mother and her 7 year old daughter, staying for 3 nights - all organised through a town twinning association and my 7 year old's gymnastics club. We spoke fabulous Franglais, drank beer, did the sights and, of course, spent a day doing  gymnastics - (well, the little ones did the gymnastics bit!)

Un temps merveilleux faire de nouveaux amis et de parler le français sans un enseignant horrible dessus mon épaule .... pas gâteaux aux noix, il suffit de plaisir, de rires et d'amitié ....j'adore le Francais, mais, je remercie Dieu pour Google Translate!
Visiting Newcastle's Quayside
Les Gymnastes de France et Angleterre
My little gymnast. Wish I could do that!
Great friends - despite them not understanding a word that they said!

Cherry, Jill, Liz... - you'd have been proud of me!

7 comments:

  1. I had similar experience with our welsh teacher.Scars you for life !!! Hope those ice cream are not Black forest Gateaux flavour !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a horror she sounds (the French teacher not the lovely French mum and her daughter) :-)

    I also hated French but the worst teacher in our school was our History teacher, a true fire breathing dragon in every sense of the word.

    I was scared of her but one day decided to play her at her own game - in other words, make HER look silly...

    I told her I frequently had 'visions' of life in Medieval England, that I 'felt' I'd lived before...she was fascinated and spoke to me like a person for the first time ever.

    She then asked me if I knew who I was in my 'past life'...I answered 'Yes miss, I was living on a farm'

    More interest from her, more questions...'what was your name in your past life'?
    I smiled, smugly and said 'I didn't have a name miss, I was a piglet living on the farm'

    The whole class erupted in laughter and she was furious at herself for being taken in by 'stupid' me!

    She chucked me out of her lesson and refused to have me back for the remainder of the year
    YAY! Result eh :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A marvellous time to make new friends and speech French without a horrible teacher top my shoulder…. not cakes with nuts, it is enough to pleasure, laughter and d' friendship….j' adore the French, but, I thank God for Google Translate!

    Shents, you are a star, brilliant writing and look forward to the new book!

    T xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Un tiempo maravilloso hacer a nuevos amigos y de hablar el francés sin un profesor horrible parte mi hombro…. no tartas a las nueces, basta de placer, risas y d' amistad….j' ¡adora el Francés, pero, agradezco a Dios para Google vuelv a poner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey all - I think we all have 'that' teacher that terrified us in one way or another - the french teacher was definitely mine! Rose - A allwch chi siarad Cymraeg?

    Love the History teacher story, Carole - good for you! Wish I could have been brave like you! Actually - years later, I did meet that French teacher at a school reunion thing, and I told her that she terrified me in class. She couldn't believe it, and even said sorry!

    Tony - took me a while to work out that it was Spanish you'd written! - is that courtesy of my mate 'Google Translate,' or are you a secret hombre espanol?!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yahoo babel fish actually...I would love to speak another language but can barely speak english...

    BY the way Fran and I are up in Morpeth in March so would be lovely to pop round on the Friday eve or meet in a pub for a pint...we are staying at a hotel/pub on the A1 so could meet there or pop round if you are okay to meet. I will have a look for the exact date as we are attending a course on the Saturday and Sunday!

    T xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tony, that would be so fab. Just let me know the date and where you're staying and we'll definitely meet up! I think you have my email address? A bientot!
    X

    ReplyDelete