Thursday 13 January 2011

Happy Birthday 7 year old!

In the olden days, we used to have fabulous birthday parties in each other's houses. Pass the parcel, musical bumps, musical chairs, jelly, ice cream, fairy cakes, party dresses....

Nowadays, we spend hundreds of pounds giving our small children the biggest, the best, the most unusual, the most entertaining, the most WONDERFUL birthday party experiences that we can. Magicians, bowling alleys, cinemas, softplay warehouses etc. all cash in on our desire to deliver the perfect party.

Last year, both of my kids missed out on having a birthday party cause their mum was either recovering from the boob op, or chemo-ed up to the eyeballs. I remember promising them that 'next year' we would make up for 'this cruddy year...'

As the 6 year old's big day approached on 9th Jan, I was thinking hard about how to give her a fab party. Do I take her and all her friends to Whitley Bay for a spot of gambling in the amusements, followed by fish and chips, and a dip in the sea? My dad once took me and a group of my friends to do all those things on one of my birthdays. It really was fabulous, but we were about 12 years old. Do I take them all to the pantomime at the Theatre Royal followed by enormous Pizzas at the nice Italian place....Hmmm. I decided instead to ask her. See what she really fancied doing.

So when the 6 year old said - 'Can I just have some friends around for my birthday and play a few games....' I was relieved.....but also a little nervous.

My nerves stemmed from the 9 year old's 5th birthday. It was a Cowboys and Indians party at our house. I remember watching in horror as evil little checky-shirted midget cowboys trashed our house, spat hot dogs all over the cakes and wrestled each other like hooligans whilst I tried to play 'Pin the Badge on the Sheriff.' I was traumatised after that, and vowed never to have a party at our house again.

However, the 6 year old has got LOVELY friends, so I agreed.

We all had the most fabulous time, and the 6 year old (now a gorgeous 7 year old) only cried 3 times - which I don't think is too bad when it was her party - and one of those cries was because she bashed her head on a door....

We played the Mars Bar Game, pass the orange under your chin, pass the balloon between your knees, the memory game, musical statues, pass the parcel, and pin the tail on the elephant.

A civilised party tea!
No fighting, no spitting, no swearing, no nipping and no throwing food. Just laughing, dancing, giggling fits, excitement and lots of fun - for everyone - me included!
Here's the birthday card from my dad. We laughed and laughed, as this is EXACTLY
what she kept doing in India after watching all the guys shinning up the coconut trees!

 HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my beautiful little girl.
You are a bundle of joy, and bring us so much happiness and fun!

7 comments:

  1. Happy Happy 7th Birthday to little Miss Shents...

    I'm glad you had a wonderful party and did exactly what you wanted to on your special day. Many happy returns from us all here

    xxxxx

    PS Shents, she truly is a beautiful girl x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birthday greetings lovely girl xxxxxx
    Such a credit to you and proof that what children really want is our time not our money (well not all of it).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many happy returns to Lizzie - So gald you had a funtime party

    Hug and a birthday kiss from an old wrinkly

    Whaddya mean "yuck!"

    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. HaPpY bIrThDaY lIzZiE wIzZiE

    She has a real character about her...a little beauty.

    Much Love

    T x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Shents. Happy New Year! And Happy Birthday Lizzie. Does your little girl know that she shares a name with me and a birthday with Chris Oakey! Ha ha. She is in good company. He was always full of practical jokes if you remember. He reminded me of the time Ali and he sent us into the men's loos for a shower in Greece the other day. Memories galore. I remember that fab birthday party gambling in Whitley Bay...
    Liz xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes. Lizzie thinks it's great getting all these happy birthdays from mums blog pals. She read them all, smiled and gave me a big hug - I think that was meant for all of you!
    Liz - I'm so glad you remember the gambling party. It was my favourite by a mile!
    How weird that lizzie shares chris's birthday date!
    When are you home? I miss you.
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete