Friday 7 January 2011

The Aussies Are Here!

You may have read about my recent excursion back in time to my uni days in Birmingham.

Susie was one of my best pals at uni. We cycled from Lands End to John O'Groats together for a laugh one summer. It took us 17.5 days. No fancy support vehicles, physios and maintenance crew. Just us, our bikes, a tent, a stove and a map. We hated every bloody bit of it - but we did it and made a canny bit of dosh for charity.

We also travelled around Europe together. When we set off we were fat, white and brunette. When we returned 3 months later, we were black as coal, blond and anorexic.

Susie married an Aussie called Paul and they live in Newcastle....sadly, not the wey aye man Newcastle Geordie land but the Newcastle in New South Wales, Australia. They have FIVE kids!

3 of Susie's 5, plus my 2.

Anyway, they ALL landed at my house yesterday and stayed the night on their way back to London from visiting relatives in Edinburgh. It was fab, and not only did England win the Ashes the night they were here, but we also provided them with a lovely brain-freezing minus 4 degrees morning when they left today.

I cried as their train pulled away from the station at Corbridge - stuffed full with Susie's lovely big smiley family and their luggage. I'm so glad they stopped by. Not sure when I'll see her again, but I hope its real soon.

Here we are - about to set off for 17 and a half days of hell
And here we are...20-odd years later!

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant that you got to spend some time with Susie and her lovely family :-)

    Loved hearing about your uni days too Shents - 17.5 days I reckon is a real achievement!

    Shhhh! Don't mention the Ashes!
    (that reminds me of a clip from Fawlty Towers 'Don't mention the war!')
    But it was an excellent win and we did deserve it :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this reminiscing and then seeing pictures of everyone again! I remember mum babysat their oldest at your wedding. Is that right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carole
    The Ashes was great, but we're all a bit baggy eyed from too many late nights watching!
    Sorry to hear all your crew have been so poorly with the nasty flu, but glad you've managed to escape it yourself. You must be a real toughie after everything you've been through recently!

    Hey Jill - Yes your mum definitely looked after their oldest (13 years ago!) and also Niki's twinnies who were just teeny tiny!
    It was fabulous seeing all Susie's clan together - including Paul. First time I've seen them ALL together.
    Hope you're all well, fine and dandy. How's J getting on with the blog?!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete