Monday 13 September 2010

Not Washed Out....Just a Bit Washed Up

Life is returning to its busy, busy norm. The 9 year old had a fantastic time at the cricket international at Durham. He turned up in a Pakistan shirt and bright green wig. He likes to be controversial.



His little footy team had their first match on Saturday and played out of their skins. In an end to end thriller, they won 4-3. The rival team have pinched our super-striker from last year, so the victory was all the more brilliant. It was great to see the lads with smiles on their faces with a victory so early in the season.

Still sweating, we bundled him into the car and dropped him off with his pal, who's dad was taking them to St.James' Park to see Newcastle v Blackpool. Fortunately, he doesn't have a Blackpool shirt and sensibly decided to wear a Newcastle shirt. Not sure the 'toon' fans would be that amused with a kid joining the black and white army in a Blackpool shirt. He's only been to see Newcastle a couple of times and never seen them win...nothing's changed - they were hammered 2-0.

Saturday evening was spent at the village hall quiz. What a turn out! Everyone in the village crawled out of the woodwork and joined in the fun. There were only 20 questions in the quiz - but they seemed to pass everyone by as we tucked into the supper and beer....not sure it should be advertised as a quiz next time - maybe 'a great night out with 3p' would be more appropriate - pies, peas and plonk...with a couple of questions thrown in.

.....so as you can see, life is returning to normal. Weirdly, despite all the fun and action, though, I have to admit that I feel a little flat. People are commenting on how good I look. Everyone was stroking my lovely 'rabbit fur' hair on Saturday. I feel healthy, I feel great, but I think I'm almost, dare I say it, feeling sorry for myself! I thought this might happen. I have been riding on the crest of a wave for a few months now...and I feel like finally, the wave has hoyed me up onto the beach...high and dry....guess I just need to get out of the wetsuit, empty the sand out of my shoes, head inland, and embrace normality again.

4 comments:

  1. indeed. remember the big waves on huntington beach. they throw you around and turn you upside down then dump you on the beach and you have to figure out if you are in fact intact and able to walk. take time to lie on the sand face down and chew sand too if you don't fancy dragging yourself up immediately... Love Liz xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flippin heck, liz - I'd forgotton about Huntington beach! I remember now - being turned upside down by the waves etc etc! I thought I was experiencing deja vu - now I know why!
    Blimey - we have a lot to catch up on, don't we!
    When are you next up, or when can I come down? I miss your wise words xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shents,

    It's okay to feel sorry for yourself now.

    You didn't do much of that whilst you were going through the diagnosis & treatment and I reckon it's normal that it's now caught up with you.

    You've recovered and you won, now you have to find a way to completely accept that maybe?

    Can any of us really return to complete normality afterwards? Yes, but maybe a different sort of normal - the new normal
    <>
    PS Congrats to the 9yr old for a great win x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes - adjusting to the 'new' normal is harder than I thought.
    I think I'm just a bit 'hungover!' - not literally! - but with the battle won, the celebrations over...I'm now waking up with a sore head and asking 'did that all really happen?'
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete