Tuesday 14 September 2010

I Have a Thousand Things To Do!...

...These were the last words uttered by Lord Beveridge, architect of the National Health Service, before he died in 1963. I have a lot to thank him for.

So I was amazed when I stumbled across his grave, today, on a 'blowing the cobwebs away' walk in the Northumberland hills.
Thockrington Church behind me

I decided to get off my backside and get some fresh air this morning. Flask of tea, a Rington's chocolate mallow and a map was all I required as I set off to find Thockrington Church in the middle of nowhere...'the wilds of Wanney' as we say here!

I nearly blew away with the cobwebs - it is so windy today - good job I don't have the wig to contend with anymore - it would have ended up in Scotland.

The church sits on top of an outcrop of the Whin Sill - a quartz dolerite stone ridge that runs the width of the country. (Hadrian's Wall is built on it, and Bamburgh Castle)
The church stands alone - the only building left of Thockrington village which was destroyed after all the villagers were wiped out by 'the plague' - kindly brought home by a sailor from the Crimean War.

The wind whipped and howled around me as I admired this lovely old building, so I took shelter inside for a moment. It was quiet in there. Peaceful. I even had a word with Mr God while I was there, and thanked him for looking after me.
The sky kept changing colour. I was about to get wet!

A little information leaflet told me about my pal Lord Beveridge, so I braved the wind once more to search for his grave. I found it easily. I thanked him too - for looking after me, in a round about way.
Lord Beveridge's grave

When I was in the church I bought a little handmade postcard. It had a lovely pen and ink sketch of the church on the front by Linda France, but it was the little poem accompanying the drawing that caught my eye:-

This old stone ark
moored on the hump back of the Whin Sill,
is rock,
is rainbow,
is anchor
Buttressed against weather,
like hands arched in prayer,
it saves all we know of the past
and all we don't of its future, our own.


I blew back over the fields and followed the track back to my car....my little expedition reminded me...I have a thousand things to do.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if you'll look on here on your birthday, but I was too lazy to find your proper email address. So "Happy Birthday!!" Amazing to think of all you've achieved between this one and the last. Hope you're rightfully proud of your self.
    Lots of love,
    Jill xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jill!
    The strangest of years, it has to be said. I'm glad I can include the China trip in a year that was hijacked by 'the Bloody Lump' (as Lizzie would say!)Despite the 'BL' though, YES, you're right - I AM proud I suppose - and also proud to have such lovely friends that have helped me through it all.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete