Monday 16 May 2011

Walking the Walk

Finished!
When I reluctantly agreed to do the Moonwalk a few months ago, it did cross my mind - 'what the hell have I done? 26 miles in the middle of the night with 17,000 mad people in decorated bras in a big party atmosphere with everyone uniting against breast cancer...' my idea of hell. It wasn't the walk that bothered me particularly, it was the idea of the 'all sisters together with their boobs out' thing that didn't appeal....but then, I can be a bit of a miserable bugger like that sometimes....

I was feeling a little like that miserable old bugger when I walked into the massive pink tent a couple of hours before the start of the walk. The music was booming, and every square inch was covered by women and a handful of blokes dressed in feathers, tutus, and all other manner of sparkly bits on the theme of 'walking on the wild side.'

I was reminded of the many occasions as a student - when I'd walk into a night club, trying to be cool, knowing that I wasn't, pretending I was having a great time, but wishing that I was somewhere else - somewhere more quiet and civilised - anywhere but there!

A sea of pink hats in the noisy pink tent.
I found a space, sat down on the floor and listened to the celebs whipping up whoops of enthusiasm. Jennifer Saunders, Ruby Wax and even bonny Prince Charlie all had something to say. 'I wish we could just get on with the walk now,' I grumbled to my long suffering friend Karen.

I gazed around and noticed that the young girl sitting next to me didn't seem to be with anyone, so I struck up a conversation. She was only 19, her friend was supposed to be doing it with her but had let her down at the last minute. 'I'm doing it for my grandma,' she said, shyly.

'Good for you,' I smiled, and instantly felt bad for being so grumpy. Behind all the feathers and the fancy costumes, everyone was there because they had been motivated to try and make a difference - everyone had their own story, their own experience, and wanted to be part of an event that 'united against breast cancer.' Exactly what it had said on the tin.

And so, as grumpy pants walked her way into Hyde Park 7.5 hours later, just after dawn with 200 yards to go, she cried. Surrounded by other people's family and friends clapping and cheering, surrounded by fellow walkers all with their own tales to tell, and surrounded by my own lovely friends...it just kind of hit me a bit.

Somewhere in the middle of the night in London
We managed to see the young girl again afterwards looking as tired and as bedraggled as we all were. We all gave her a big hug before she left for home. She had done her grandma proud.

Thank you to all those who sponsored me and the team, and others who gave us so many messages of support. We've managed to raise over 2,500 quid so we're absolutely delighted.

Oh, and if any of you are wondering whether or not I'll be doing this inspiring, uplifting, emotional event again, the answer is simple...

...not bloody likely!

10 comments:

  1. Shents,

    As usual you write perfectly and draw the reader into the emotions of the situation. There is definitely another book on the cards.

    Well done to you and your crew!

    Much Love

    Tony xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cant imagine you grumpy !! Well done to you and everyone else,so many willing to do this to help others,you should be very proud of yourself,I know i am proud of you.Hope your feet and joints are healing,Im sure you will be able to walk upright by the end of May !!
    Congratulations darling,good on yer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, I can confirm you were not grumpy, but great company on what was a fantastic experience. I,m so glad that you met up with Louise again. You are right everyone did have their own story. Hopefullly you will change your mind and do it again or maybe the Inca Trail??????
    Love Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Shents....Well done you and your lovely team.

    I did think it would be an emotional time, especially once you got back to the finish line

    I think you maybe even *needed* it to be emotional, without realising?

    Sometimes we get so caught up in the:
    'it's all alright now'
    'all over and done with'
    'over there in the past'
    and we maybe push away any outstanding emotions from back then.

    Well done girl, you walked that 'c' into the ground and you raised loads of lovely cash whilst stomping all over it :-)
    Superstar xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made me smile, (obviously not because I've experienced what you have), as mum and I have often talked of her discomfort of the whole "survivor" emphasis that exists here. The quietly positive and dignified way you tackled your treatment is at odds with an event like this,but like you say, everyone's doing it for the right reasons. Well done, I know I couldn't have done it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely comments everyone - thank you!

    Tony - There's about 100 books inside me waiting to get out! When's yours published? Great news about your recent scan. xxx

    Rose - I'm actually feeling not s'bad. I feel quite caught up on sleep now, and my legs and feet are just fine now as long as I don't stay still for too long! And oooh yes, I can be a right old grump!

    Angela - Thats very kind of you to say I wasn't grumpy - not sure poor Karen will have the same opinion! Always fancied the Inca trail! x

    Carole - You are soooo right as always :-) x

    Jill - Of course you could have bloody done it - you would have puked on Tower Bridge and I might have abandoned you - but you'd still have made it! Seriously, you're so right about the feeling uncomfortable bit, but as you say - done for the right reasons, and a load of dosh in the bag too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. i can confirm to all of you followers on lisas blog that there were no after effects after that brilliant twenty six mile walk with all her fab friends well done to you all what next i wonder love mum x x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey mum - Just had an email from chomse about a sponsored skinny dip in the sea - fancy it? X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Shents. Just had a big catch up on your blog! You writes so well... always did... but this is truly a great read. Thank you. As for the memories... The ice pop - ha ha. That says more about my childish huffy attitude than your practical joke attitude. Glad I have grown up ... a bit... As for the bras. Well - that brings me a vivid memory of trying on Nicky's bra and my pancakes being SWAMPED by it and phote evidence to prove it. Life ticking along nicely for me with my lovely Andy and dog Baloo. But this Summer we HAVE to get together face to face for a catch up! Liz xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Liz
    Really great to hear from you. Yes, still blogging but not as often as I'd like! I've so much to say!
    Had a chuckle about you and nikis bra. Remember that photo well!
    Really glad that you're so happy with andy and baloo. Andy is lovely.
    As you know I'm a face booker now, so don't forget to let me know when you're back in the ne. Would love a face to face catch up! We can compare notes on our fundraising efforts...hmm, walking through London in a bra and walking up to everest base camp. Reckon you drew the short straw there! :-)
    Much love xxxx

    ReplyDelete