Thursday 5 May 2011

May the 4th Be With You

When I started writing this post it was Star Wars Day - May the 4th be with you.


On this very day 12 months ago, I had been felled by my 5th round of chemo. I had taken to my bed for the first time and I felt awful. I was feeling sickly, I was totally hairless, my mouth was full of ulcers and I couldn't be bothered to lift my head off the pillow - much to my 7 year old's (then 6) frustration. She sobbed that day, complaining about the 'bloody lump' that had made her mum incapable of even playing a game of draughts. I told her to be patient that day....'Mum'll be fine again soon......'

Its my brother's wedding this weekend. My 7 year old is a bridesmaid, and Chris is marrying a really lovely girl. It will be a fabulous, happy occasion and I'm really looking forward to it....
The next weekend I'm doing the Moonwalk in London - me and my gorgeous friends are raising money for breast cancer - it will be a challenge, but I am so looking forward to it too.....
Oh, and the cricket season has started and the Angels have had their first game!....yeh, well, we lost, BUT it was brilliant being out there with my team mates - scoring runs, taking wickets and scoffing the delicious tea afterwards...Can't wait for all the other games....

....I am SO fine again after my brush with cancer.

And I am SO grateful to be so fine again.

So many people are going through awful times with sodding cancer. My cricket coach has just lost his wife this week to sodding cancer. My boss's wife is struggling against sodding cancer, 3 other mums I know have been through the nasty treatment for sodding cancer but are thankfully doing well and some of my lovely cancerchat forum friends are also struggling against sodding cancer at the moment...

"I got off my bike at the tea room, and I cried," said my neighbour and friend who has just finished her chemo. Before the sodding 'c' she used to go on a bike ride with friends every weekend to this canny little tea room - not far from where we live. During chemo, she didn't have the strength nor the desire go biking, but last weekend, when the chemo was all done and dusted, she did. It took her a bit longer than normal, but she did it - and I know exactly why she cried....

I may have had a little glass of something tonight that's making this post sound slightly sku-wiff, but y'know - basically what I'm trying to say is, I'm going to carry on enjoying and appreciating every bloomin day...

May the 4th be with you.

Shents xxxx

4 comments:

  1. As you walk down the aisle try not to show the two bruises you got on your knee when you made that fantastic fielding stop, the mighty throw to the wicket and the stumping of their best player. Carry on enjoying every bloomin' day and May the 4th be with you always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl !!!So many are affected it is unbelievable.I am 58 next week,four years on from diagnosis and while it is a pain being constantly on chemo,I am going to see a birthday that I did not think I would.Good luck with your training you fabulous person.xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scabby knees and a hole in my calf where the cricket pads had rubbed - I wore the wounds with pride!

    Rose - I'm so glad you had such a lovely week away with the family - loved the photos!
    Much love to you xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi -

    Its so nice to read of someone doing so well post cancer treatment. Yay! With that in mind, might you consider adding your blog to the Navigating Cancer Blog Directory? Enclosed is the link for you to take a look.

    https://www.navigatingcancer.com/explore/breast/blogs

    Thank you for your consideration, and wishing you a wonderful day!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete