Sunday 12 December 2010

Off to Memory Lane

Friday 10th December 2010

When I finished my degree, I packed a red rucksack, bought a round-the-world plane ticket and made straight for New Zealand with my uni pal, Pete. We travelled there for 2 months before running out of money - completely! Thankfully, I managed to get a job as a nanny in Sydney, and after 6 months of working managed to save enough to travel home via Malaysia and Thailand. I was away for 12 months, and returned with nowt but the red rucksack - and lots of great memories.

I always remember packing that red rucksack the night before I left for the BIG expedition. Not once did I think - 'I hope I've got enough woolies in case its cold,' or 'what if I run out of money?' or 'where will I stay?' I just went.

So its quite funny that for this weekend trip to Birmingham I spent ages fretting about what to take. I should have just grabbed the bag in the morning, hoyed a couple of pairs of knickers in, a toothbrush and the train tickets and off....but no. On the night before, I made 2 rounds of sandwiches and charged my phone and music machine. I packed the camera with spare batteries, and IRONED some pyjamas. I even got a flask out ready to make some tea in the morning, then checked the train times, wrote them down, then checked them again - 3 times.

How and when did I become such an organised, meticulous old lady?

When I get home on Sunday, I will have to pack for our trip to Goa...not just for me, but the whole family - God! How will I cope with that?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment