Sunday 12 December 2010

Balti's, Beer and a Bloody Good Time in Brum

Sunday 12th December 2010


Well - I'm back now, and I've had the most wonderful trip ever!

We visited loads of our old places. When I first arrived off the train though, I didn't recognise ANYthing about Birmingham. In fact I started wondering if I really had spent 3 years of my life there after all! The city centre has changed so much in 20 years - no more concrete!
Near the Halls of Residence. Pete, Nikers, Suze, Adie and me.

However, when we explored the Birmingham uni campus and halls of residence, memories soon came flooding back and we remembered stories, moments and people, buried deep in our minds, that had us roaring with laughter.
Outside our Sports Centre where we spent MUCH of our time
Niki nearly killed me 20 years ago by pushing me off this 8ft wall. We re-enacted the moment!

We visited our old houses, the OVT pub, and had a balti in our favourite curry house - the Dilshad - complete with their speciality - the enormous 'duvet' naan!
My housemates - outside the lovely 968 Pershore Road

At the end of the trip, I was just about to say farewell to everyone, when we spotted one of our old PE student buddies - Debs! She was a 'mature' student when we were there and we all loved her. We hadn't seen her for 20 years! It was lovely to have a speedy catch up with her!
Oh My God - Its our ol' pal, Debs!

A fantastic weekend girls - thank you for being such wonderful friends - I love you all - and look forward to the next time we can all be together again...whenever that may be!
Me and my my gorgeous pals - thanks for the trip down memory lane!

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you girls all had such a brilliant time - I can see from the huge smiles that it was a weekend to remember - excellent :-)

    Fabulous to bump into someone from so long ago when you were all together. Small world at times eh.

    And one last thing.....amazed at how much hair you've got now Shents!!! :-))

    Have the best time in Goa and lots more pics when you come back please.
    Love to the children too, all have a brilliant time xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have stacks of hair now - but look how GREY it is! I definitely felt like the granny of the trip. I must investigate hair dyes when we get back from India!
    Camera is at the ready. Don't worry. There'll be loads of photos.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been walking on air since I bumped into you earlier today. Really really lovely to see you all. Only sorry to have missed Suzie but good to see her in the photos. Got home and got me 'ol uni photos out before moving swiftly on to your blog. What a year eh? Your humour, strength and wonderful family shines through. Rather than rely on a pure chance meeting in Brum I'm going to pester you with comments, emails, fan mail etc........ Not confident that I wrote my email address down correctly due to excitment overload, so here goes again :- deb.veitch@googlemail.com. Have a brilliant trip to Goa. Deb xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh Debs!
    I still can't get over how amazing it was to bump into you! There were at least 24 billion people in Birmingham that day - and there you were! Wonderful!
    Glad you're going to pester me - no need to lose touch again.
    Must pack for Goa - I've done NOWT, and need to get a move on!
    Look forward to catching up on my return. Have a fab Chrimbo.
    Much love
    Shents xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a weekend! I can't stop smiling when I think about all the laffs that we had 20 years ago as well as all the laffs we had this weekend just gone. And to meet Debs at the end was just the icing on the cake.
    "Highlights" of the weekend:
    1)A curry for 3 for £10.50!!
    3)Remembering the one armed man from the library!
    4)Niki beaten in a race at the Bullring!
    5)Bumping into Debbie in Selfridges.
    6) Getting served in the OVT in less than 1/2 hour and not sticking to the carpet!
    7)Duvet Naan at the Dilshad....
    8) Niki's bottom!!(you had to be there)

    The lowlights:
    1)The hilariously tiny toilet cubicles in the hotel
    2) The noise in the hotel on Saturday night.It really wasn't me Shents!
    3) Niki's bottom!!(you probably wouldn't want to be there)....

    So glad we were all back together again in such a special place (no I don't mean the hotel!)- all you Brum girls mean the world to me and it was sooooo good to see you so happy and healthy Shents.

    Till next time...Mach(Pete) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look so happy and pretty.I lived in Birmingham when I was 8 and went to the Cadburys school.Smells of chocolate all day !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shents,

    You are going to have to shave your ed! Skinheads forever.

    You look lovely and your mates aren't bad either...you lot must have been a handful.

    I still cant find the photos of Goa so you will have to go to Baga beach, have a Goan Fish Curry and a huge bottle of Kingfisher and take your own photos...

    Much Love.

    T xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved looking at your China pics Shent but these take the biscuit! Brilliant to see you all looking so healthy and happy! I like the grey. Looks really cool. My grey coming in thick and fast at the back and it is wiry and curly!!! Still got to get to see you. Not up North at Christmas so it will have to be Jan. Got made redundant so I have time! Liz xxx

    ReplyDelete