Friday 10 September 2010

The Art of Shopping

Yesterday, I thought I'd go into town to do a bit of clothes shopping. I don't really need any new clothes, but I'm back to work in a couple of weeks, so I thought I'd get a few new things to make me feel good.

My elfin hairstyle is easy to manage, but I'm conscious that it makes me look a little 'boy-ish!'
A delivery man knocked at the door the other day. We have a little window in the front door so he was looking through it when I came to answer his knocks. When I opened the door, he looked surprised.

'I thought it was a kid coming to the door!' he exclaimed, without thinking. I think he thought I was a young lad through the window. 'Sorry!' He blushed the colour of the blackberry jam I made the other day.

So in town, I trooped through John Lewis, Fenwicks, Monsoon, Debenhams, Next, Marksies....got bored, and went to the art shop.

I came home with the following items -

6 graphite sticks
12 coloured pencils
A box of charcoal
An A4 sketch pad
A putty rubber
A pencil sharpener
A smudging stick
A nice leather pencil holder pouch-thing that holds everything and rolls up into a neat, portable case.

I can't wear any of it, but at least I might do a bit of art and clart. Something I haven't done in a while...
I decided to try and draw the little old elf I see in the mirror every morning with my new graphite sticks - I've never used them before. I prefer to work with colour. Last time I drew this elf, she was in the 6th form at school with masses of brown curly hair! There were a few more lines to draw in this time, and a lot less hair!



Bloody hell! - I'm out of practice! I look like something from Cell BlockH!

The 6 year old has just seen it.

'Who's that boy, mum?' she asked.

Maybe I'll have a go with the coloured pencils tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. At least it looks like someone, which it wouldn't if I'd drawn it.
    Glad you're blogging. You look so tanned and healthy, I'm jealous!!
    Jill x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tan is pure Northumbrian - its been a lovely summer!
    Hope you are all fit and well
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shents, hair looks great...I think you should get it cut as getting a bit long...with those cheek bones you could never be mistaken for a wee laddy :-) I had better shut up otherwise your hubby will be driving down to the Midlands!

    Where abouts do you live in Northumbria by the way - just curious?

    T x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tony - great to hear from you. Not only is the hair getting longer - it's starting to curl - God knows how it will end up!
    I live near Corbridge - up on Hadrian's Wall. Beautiful part of the world!
    I hope you're well, are you? How's 'normal' life treating you?
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Shents! Found your new blog. LOVE IT so far. The Albert quote is just bril. And as for your art skills Andy was just asking me yesterday who did the amazing drawing of Holy Island Castle on my wall at home! It was you. I like the drawing except I think you got the width of your neck all wrong... Looking forward to reading more... Liz xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for being kind about the worst drawing I've ever done in my life! But I think you're right - the neck is as fat as...my thigh! It might be too much for the new putty rubber to cope with, but maybe I need to rub out a good few cm!!
    I did that Holy Island picture for you when I was on holiday in Annecy...I think I used every colour in the box. I should stick to colour!...
    Shents xxx

    ReplyDelete